The History of
Cornerstone Evangelical Free Church
Cornerstone Evangelical Free Church began with a neighborhood invitation to come to a new Sunday School Outreach, beginning on October 16, 1952, at the Park Manor Field House just three blocks from our church. The early pioneers of the church were a dual team of Andersons, Rev. Roger and Mrs. Ruth Anderson became missionaries in Hong Kong one year after the Sunday School started.
The church’s first full-time pastor was a Trinity Evangelical Divinity School student, Rev. Kenneth Meyer, who eventually became the President of Trinity International University. The church, then called Glenview Evangelical Free Church, was officially incorporated under his watch on September 25, 1955, with a yearly budget of $5,165.
Many of the people in the church mortgaged their homes, or gave their cars, refrigerators, and other assets, as collateral for a bank loan to buy the materials needed to build the first church. The cost of the church was about $44,000 and it was completed in four months. The Glenview Evangelical Free Church building was dedicated on Sunday, September 22, 1957.
A sanctuary and lower level Christian Education facilities were built as a result of continuing growth during the 60’s. As the Lord prospered the ministry, it became clear that a larger church facility was needed. One Sunday in February 1967, “a moving service” saw the Glenview Church family leave the original auditorium and move into a new, spacious sanctuary. The gym addition was built over the old sanctuary in 1987 and the current sanctuary was re-designed in 2005.
On May 17, 2011, we changed our name to Cornerstone Evangelical Free Church, which arose from a desire to continue to move beyond the borders of one community to reflect the love of Christ to all those around us. We believe that God is calling us to reach even further into our area with the Good News of the Gospel, as our mission states:
We exist to inspire and equip God’s people
to spread the life-changing message
of Jesus Christ.