Lyrics For the Soul
Lyrics For the Soul
Every time we read one of the Psalms we are rereading a part of the Bible that Jesus probably memorized. It was part of His life in a way that we might not usually consider. This fall we are going to focus our preaching attention on the Psalms and when I think about Jesus’ earthly life the writer to the Hebrews said this about Jesus, “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.” (Hebrews 4:15) This highlights the range of experiences Jesus faced just like us. He turned to the Psalms as a prayer book, a faith reminder and a playlist for life’s emotions. I hope the title for this series captures these ideas, Lyrics of the Soul.
It is no wonder that Jesus quotes the Psalms in multiple settings. One author highlights them for us.
Jesus quotes the Psalms on 11 occasions:
- Jesus outwits the Pharisees with the Psalms on several occasions. (Ps 8:2, 110:1; Mt 21:16, 22:44; Mk 12:36, 14:62; Lk 20:42–43)
- He quotes the twenty-second Psalm while dying on the cross: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Ps 22:1; Mt 27:46; Mk 15:34) He then fulfills the thirty-first Psalm by committing his spirit to the Father. (31:5; Lk 23:46)
- Jesus is hated without cause, which he says the Psalms foretold. (Ps 35:19, 69:4; Jn 15:25)
- He quotes the Psalms when talking about his betrayal. (Ps 41:9; Jn 13:18)
- Jesus recalls the manna in the wilderness after feeding a multitude. (Ps 78:24; Jn 6:31)
- When the Jews want to stone Jesus for claiming to be God, he responds with a line Psalms. (Ps 82:6; Jn 10:34)
- Jesus quotes Psalm 110 when Pilate asks if he is the son of God. (Ps 110:1; Mt 26:64)
- He quotes Psalms to the chief priests and elders, calling himself the chief cornerstone. (Ps 118:22–23; Matt 21:42; Mk 12:10; Luke 20:17)
- Jesus references Psalms when foretelling Jerusalem’s destruction. (Ps 118:26; Matt 23:39; Lk 13:35)
I hope that you will join us each Sunday to give voice and direction to the lyrics of your soul by following the various Psalmists whom God inspired to write for us who follow Jesus.
More in Blog
January 8, 2020Influential Christian Works: Inspiration by A.A. Hodge & B.B. Warfield
December 18, 2019Influential Christian Works: The Virgin Birth of Christ by J. Gresham Machen
November 26, 2019Lyrics For the Soul